Large Multi-Site Deployment with Roaming Agents (With VPN)
This deployment scenario supports up to 90,000 Traps agents that can connect through local sites and from off-site locations through a VPN tunnel. To support up to 150,000 Traps agents, you can deploy two additional ESM Servers.
This multi-site environment consists of the following components:
- One dedicated database server
- One ESM Console in the same location as the database for managing the security policy and Traps agents
- One ESM Server for every 30,000 Traps agents (for a maximum of 150,000 agents) in each site
- GlobalProtect or an alternative VPN gateway to provide roaming users with an internal IP address for accessing the ESM Server
- One forensic folder for each ESM Server that is accessible by all endpoints for storing real-time forensic details about security events
- (Recommended) WildFire integration
- (Optional) Load balancer for distributing traffic across ESM Servers
- (Optional) External logging platform such as an SIEM or syslog
In this example, Sites A, B, and C each need to support up to 30,000 Traps agents with some of those agents located off-site. To support this scenario, each site contains an ESM Server that retrieves the security policy from the database located at Site A. Internal endpoints connect to the Endpoint Security Manager using their local ESM Servers. External endpoints connect through a VPN tunnel that provides the endpoint with an internal IP address for connecting to the site. If an endpoint is roaming and cannot connect over VPN, Traps collects prevention data locally until the agent can establish a connection to the forensic folder.